The Best for Their Future
Park Slope Eye is dedicated to the pediatric eye care of our little community members. It shows in our reputation as one of Brooklyn’s finest providers. We appreciate that we are responsible for the health of our children, and we want to make sure they have the best care.
The Importance of Children’s Eye Exams
The importance of regular eye exams cannot be overstated. This is the only way that we can monitor your child’s eyes and vision to prevent them from developing more severe problems down the road.
Visual problems often disguise themselves as learning disabilities. It can be frustrating for a child to attempt to explain what’s wrong – in fact, they may not even be able to. Your optometrist can assist by identifying potential issues before they arise, and by helping to manage them alongside your family.
The majority of what children learn as they develop is visual – approximately 80%, to be precise. Annual eye examinations are their best bet for success. Regular eye examinations, starting at around 6 months of age, ensure any ocular health or visual issues are diagnosed early and treated effectively.
During your child’s eye exam, we will…
- Gain a deep understanding of your child’s medical history, as well as family medical and ocular history, to determine risk factors that might be present.
- Perform tests for visual acuity, refraction, binocular vision, and overall eye health.
- Determine and provide the best option for vision correction, if needed.
- Educate you and your child on their eye health, and how to best protect it.
- Address any other concerns you or your child might have.
What you should bring:
- Any glasses or contact lenses your child regularly uses.
- Their insurance card.
We recommend visiting our Insurance & FAQs page to best prepare for your child’s appointment. There, you can find a list of visual and medical insurance providers we accept as well as additional information about our services.