The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that approximately 14 million Americans have poor vision. This is why the CDC created the Vision Health Initiative that promotes eye health and vision loss prevention. The CDC has also collaborated with the Healthy People 2020 initiative. This promotes visual health through prevention, early detection, rehabilitation, and timely treatment.
Why Maintain Healthy Eyes?
The CDC and other organizations promote healthy eyesight because it keeps us safe when we do our daily tasks. Healthy eyes also improve our productivity and efficiency. Our lifestyle choices and needs sometimes affect our eyes, and if you want to have clear vision until your senior years, make sure you consult the experienced eye doctors from Park Slope Eye.
How Do You Maintain Healthy Eyes?
As a trusted eye doctor in Brooklyn, NY, Dr. Justin Bazan from Park Slope Eye lists five easy steps to maintaining healthy vision:
- Schedule a routine eye exam. We recommend pediatric checkups at least once a year. Adults should visit their Park Slope family eye care doctor in Brooklyn, NY every two years while seniors should come in for an exam once a year. Through comprehensive exams, we can determine whether you are at risk of common eye diseases.
- Familiarize yourself with your family’s eye history. Some eye disorders are hereditary, so make sure you are aware of your family’s health records. This way, we will know if you have a higher chance for some eye problems. If we see signs of eye issues, we may recommend different options that are best to correct the issues such as eye surgery, corrective eyewear, or vision therapy.
- Stay physically healthy. Reports have concluded that a proper diet helps maintain healthy eyes. This includes eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, and foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle also prevents systemic conditions that lead to vision loss.
- Wear protective eyewear. The Digital Eye Strain Report 2016 states that 65% of Americans experience digital eyestrain. To prevent this, make sure you wear proper eyewear with special lenses. To protect your eyes from harmful ultraviolet rays, wear shades when you go outside.
- Rest your eyes. If your eyes are tired from staring at computer screens or reading, focus on a faraway object for a few seconds.
For all your Park Slope eye care needs, we are the eye care experts that you can count on. We offer exceptional services including vision therapy, contact lens and eyeglass fitting, eye exams, and ortho-k lenses.
If you want to learn more about proper eye health, call us at (347) 380-7070.